top of page

Historic Registration


You can apply for registration of historic vehicles under the Historic Vehicle Scheme (HVS).


To be eligible for the HVS:

  • your vehicle must be at least 30 years of age or older from the year it was manufactured. The vehicle must not be modified.

  • your vehicle must comply with the applicable vehicle standards as at the date of vehicle manufacture.

  • your vehicle must be as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations except for safety features such as seatbelts, turn indicators or period options, accessories and safety items.

  • you must be a member of a Transport for NSW-recognised historic vehicle club. See the Historic vehicle clubs list (PDF 837.12KB)

If you change clubs during your registration period you need to fill out a Historic Vehicle Declaration and get it signed by your new club. Take it to a service centre to get a replacement Certificate of Approved Operations.

Registering a vehicle in the Historic Vehicle Scheme

To conditionally register a vehicle in the Historic Vehicle Scheme, you must attend a registry or service centre in person and present:

Registration procedures for the Wagga Classic Motorcycle Club Inc (WCMC)

Renewal of existing registrations

The WCMC holds 2 registration inspection days each year on the last Sunday of November and the 3rd Sunday of December. Registration days are held at 14 Lloyd Road Springvale from 8 am to midday.

Historic motorcycles registered with the WCMC will be inspected by our club registration inspectors for roadworthiness and Historic Vehicle Declarations with your details included will be provided. There is no cost for club members.

New registrations

To register a new motorcycle, you will need to follow these steps:

  • Contact WCMC Plates Registrar, Bob Edwards on 0459 211 055 for WCMC authorisation of the Historic Vehicle Declaration.

  • Take your completed paperwork (Application for Conditional Registration, proof of identity, proof of ownership, and Historic Vehicle Declaration) to the RMS. Registrations are for the calendar year so if you are registering a motorcycle during the year only register your motorcycle until the end of that year. This means that all club registrations are due at the same time and inspections can be carried out at the club registration days in November and December.

Vehicle suitability for safe use

Historic vehicles must be declared suitable for safe use by:

Vehicle use

If your vehicle has historic vehicle registration, it can only be used:

  • for events organised by recognised historic vehicle clubs, if an official invitation is received and recorded by the primary club in the official minutes or 'Day Book'

  • for events organised by community organisations if an official invitation is received and recorded by the primary club in the official minutes or 'Day Book'

  • for short journeys to service and inspect the vehicle

  • on longer journeys if you notify your primary club and the details are recorded in the primary club's official minutes.

Historic vehicle log books

If you record vehicle use in a historic vehicle log book, you can drive your registered vehicle for 60 days each year outside of organised club events. Find out more about historic and classic vehicle log books.

Using your vehicle for functions

If your historic vehicle is operating a passenger transport service – for example, for weddings or other functions – you must:

  • comply with the Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) legislation – see Point to Point Transport– and

  • seek approval from the primary club and have the details recorded in the club's official minutes or 'Day Book'.

Interstate vehicles and travelling outside NSW

If your historic vehicle is registered in NSW, you may use it temporarily in other states and territories. You'll need to abide by the same conditions that apply in NSW.

If you are visiting from interstate and your vehicle is registered under a similar scheme in your home state or territory, you may use it temporarily in NSW. You'll need to observe the same conditions that apply in your home jurisdiction.

Number plates and certificates

Once they are registered, historic vehicles must display historic vehicle registration number plates.

Name bars may be fixed to the number plate, provided the position of the name bar does not obscure the number plate.

The Certificate of Approved Operations, detailing the conditions applicable to the operation of the vehicle, must be carried in the vehicle whenever it is used on a road or road-related area.

bottom of page